Yesterday I started telling you about my experience at the GM Dealership, of all places. I told you about Ruth and the amazing example of faith that I found her to be. Today I want to tell you about another person I met.
While Ruth and I were talking another guy came into the waiting area. Ruth was called out to discuss some things related to her car and the guy next to me started a conversation with me this time. Again, remember I tend to be a bit wary of random people talking to me, especially men, so when this guy asked me what my car was in for, I was ready to shut the conversation down. Can never be too careful with strange men ya know... But for some reason we continued talking; I must have decided I didn't need to shut him down in a rude sort of way (sometimes it's necessary unfortunately because there are those people who ignore basic social cues...). Little by little, I start learning a little about him. I learn that he's married (ok, my walls go down a little bit more, no longer do I feel like I could be getting hit on... granted, I could have probably crossed that one off the list immediately as a given since I am, after all, 37 weeks pregnant, but remember, crazies.... strange men... I am always on guard...). I also learn that he has two young children (my walls go down further...a family man, come on!). I learn that he's an army guy and might possibly transfer to the air force since he's an airplane mechanic. (Funny what we consider "safe", army to me is safe so, combined with the other information I have learned, I pretty much don't consider this guy a threat anymore...not to mention, I can read people pretty well and he wasn't giving me any weird vibes...) He and his wife are now living in Laramie because they moved back to finish their degrees. His wife wants to be a writer and he is finishing his aeronautical studies degree. We talk a bit about the airline industry (seriously, how much random information can a girl learn in one 2 hour waiting area experience??? First Borzoi breeds and now airlines...) and in the course of that conversation, I also learn that this guy is a Christian too! He mentions here and there how they are basically waiting on God to show them where they need to be. Currently the airline industry is taking a big hit and jobs are scarce hence why they decided to finish their degrees. Waiting a year might give them more options.
Well, what makes this guy so interesting to me is first, the way I just met him and second, the way it appears that him and his wife might be people that DJ and I could really click with. See, I have been praying for friends that share a love for the Lord and I have been praying for a couple that both DJ and I can enjoy spending time with. As I was talking to him, I was struck by a lot of similarities that they shared with us. Currently we don't have friends like this and I feel a big piece is missing from our lives as a result. Well I find out that this couple goes to a church that I attended when DJ was out of town once. I liked the church but I wanted to know a little bit more about the pastor(s) so I was able to talk to this guy about that. I learned about more opportunities for meeting other couples (through small groups, which is what the church calls Bible study groups that meet during the week) and even a women's group. The guy then happened to mention that his wife used to love going to MOPS in the town that they moved from but she hadn't found a group here. (MOPS is Mothers Of PreschoolerS but the group is flexible in their definition of a preschooler since your child can be a little older or younger than that age group.) The crazy thing is that, although I had never attended MOPS before, I have been trying for months to go to the group located here and for various reasons, it's never worked out. I was excited to be able to tell him the details and now, his wife and I are going to attempt to meet up on Thursday to attend MOPS together (after we have gotten to meet each other!)
I should also mention that this couple has lived all over the country too, just like me and DJ, and they just recently moved from Virginia where they had only lived for 8 months and then had to move because various jobs fell through. Sound familiar??? (In case you aren't familiar with our story, DJ and I lived in Tennessee for only 9-10 months before also having to move as a result of a job falling through!) He shared that they had the same concerns we had in being so far from family while trying to raise a family and also felt like they were living in another country living so far east. It was so crazy how similar our stories were in a lot of cases.
Well, we ended up swapping numbers, or rather he gave me his wife's name and number, and hopefully I'll get to meet his wife on Thursday. I am so curious what she will be like and if truly this might be the start of a friendship that I have been praying for. If not, that's ok of course because if anything, it made for a very interesting morning that could have otherwise felt like a lot of wasted hours just waiting. But I'm hopeful that God has something more in store!
What a great way to start my leave yesterday! Today Jayden started a new schedule at day care and I will tell you more about that tomorrow! We're enjoying extended Momma and Jayden time today!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You left us in suspense!!! Did you meet this guys wife yesterday? Did you love her?!! I prayed for you all morning. Such amazing stories! It encouraged me so much. I also have no friends here so I'm praying for that girl to come that I can click with and WANT to spend time with and have kids that I'm ok with my kids being around. Ya know? So pretty much you need to get a job in tx :) we'd be set!
ReplyDeleteNo! I haven't gotten to meet her yet! Things keep coming up so hopefully soon!
Delete