My mom decided to come stay with us early last week and I was convinced that she wouldn't have to wait long before Ava would make her appearance. However days went by and I continued feeling about the same - constant contractions but no real signs of anything changing or progressing. On Friday nothing seemed different and if it did, I wouldn't have taken it seriously anyway since there had been so many false alarms up to that point.
On Saturday morning I woke up about 5:30 with my first painful contraction but I wasn't entirely convinced that was what it was so I decided if I had a couple more then it would be reason enough to go to the hospital. Sure enough another wave of pain came and went but I needed to feel one more before I was ready to wake up DJ. After the third one, it was just a little before 6 and I woke up DJ, told him I thought it was probably time and that I was going to shower. I continued to time my contractions and noticed that they were getting stronger. Thankfully they weren't going away as they had in the past and they were anywhere from 2 minutes to 5 minutes apart. I wasn't feeling entirely rushed though because I was still able to function through most of the contractions. Much to DJ and my mom's dismay, I decided I needed to eat something before we headed to the hospital. I think they thought I just needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible! By the time we actually left for the hospital, it was 8:00. Jayden woke up before we left so we were able to get one more family of three photo before we told him that we were headed to the hospital to get Ava. He was more than happy to have a day to spend with Nana.
When we arrived at the hospital, my contractions were strong enough that I had to stop what I was doing and breath through them. Thankfully I had completed most of the paperwork when I had gone in at 38 weeks so there were just a few things to do before they monitored the baby. When the nurse checked how much I was dilated I was 6.5 cm and 100% effaced so we knew this was it! That was about an hour after we first got to the hospital. The contractions were getting very painful and I was seriously doubting my decision of a drug free birth. I decided to get in the tub but first they had to draw some blood for a routine blood screening. I sat on the birthing ball while the lady took my blood and I remember thinking what a ridiculous policy it was to take blood from a laboring lady. They're poking me with needles while I'm doing everything I can do to get through each contraction. It was miserable and I hated the position I was in on the ball.
Once the lady finally finished taking my blood, I had to get in the bed so the nurse could check my cervix before I got into the tub since my contractions were getting so close together. Just moving into the bed was miserable because each movement made me contract and I ended up in the worst position possible to have a contraction. It was so uncomfortable and I couldn't keep the tears from coming. I felt somewhat like I was losing control and that scared me a little since I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the pain if I couldn't get my mind in the right place. When the nurse checked me at that point I was 7.5cm dilated and that really frustrated me because the pain was so bad and I still had 2.5cm to dilate. I started thinking that I didn't have it in me to keep going without an epidural. The nurse suggested getting into the tub to see if that helped first. As I walked to the bathroom, I was having contraction after contraction and I just broke down. I decided I had to have the epidural; I knew I couldn't handle any more pain. I was at my breaking point. However the nurse said it would be a good 15-20 minutes before that could happen so it would be best to still get in the tub and try that out. The only problem was I could barely move from where I was and I started feeling a lot of pressure. We decided it would be best if we got back to the bed so the nurse could check me again. Easier said than done; I kind of remember thinking I wish someone could just carry me to the bed which was literally like 5 steps away.
When the nurse checked me again I had fully dilated and was really feeling the urge to push. The only problem was they had just called the doctor and he wasn't there yet so they were telling me to not push. I had heard that happen to other women before and although I thought it sounded crazy to tell someone not to push, I didn't realize how horrible it was. Making your body do something that it is quite naturally doing on its own is IMPOSSIBLE. I was practically yelling "how do I not push?!?" because they were really making me think that it would be bad to deliver the baby if the doctor wasn't there. Nothing was being done to prepare the bed or the room to deliver the baby and I just kept thinking that I was going to push the baby out right there on the bed. It was a little terrifying and so miserable all at the same time. When the doctor finally came into the room, I have never been so grateful to see anyone in my entire life. I pushed two times and the head was out and then a couple more times to deliver the shoulders and the rest of the baby. And then the doctor held up the most beautiful baby girl that I had ever seen. I will never forget that moment as long as I live.
At this point everything was different then what I had experienced with Jayden. It was so much better since Jayden had to be taken away immediately. I didn't get to hold him till he was about an hour old. But they laid Ava on my chest right away and I just rubbed on her and talked to her and took in the sight of my precious baby. Before that day, I thought I might be grossed out by having a newly birthed baby put on me but I wasn't disgusted or squeamish in the least. I was so happy she was here and it was just the best moment ever. The doctor continued working on me; he delivered the placenta and then had to do another procedure before stitching me up since I had a minor second degree tear. But that part wasn't nearly as bad as my first delivery either since I had Ava in my arms to distract me.
I was able to start nursing Ava about 45 minutes after she was born and after a few attempts, she latched on and nursed for a good 30 minutes which is a great first feeding. I was so glad that breastfeeding was off to a great start since I had a lot of issues with Jayden when he was born and that continued for weeks.
Overall the entire delivery was extremely better than my first delivery. I was so grateful for that and the fact that I ended up not getting an epidural after all! The last few days have also been a lot better for me physically and emotionally. My body doesn't feel nearly as traumatized as it did with the first and emotionally I'm not nearly as overwhelmed. I feel almost normal actually and the pain from the stitches has been almost non-existent. I am staying on the Motrin religiously but thankfully I haven't even needed anything stronger. I feel so blessed to have had such a great experience and it truly is an answer to my prayers. I had prayed for the delivery and recovery to be just like they happened and I am so grateful that God chose to bless me with such a wonderful past 3 days!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment on my life. In fact, I welcome it! And I want to hear what's going on with YOU!